I’ve been trying to avoid some of my favorite foods (aka pizza and pasta). Sometimes it feels like being a vegetarian can quickly become being a carb-o-tarian. So I’m doing my best to get out of the frame of mind where carbs are all I think about.
Mostly, I’ve been switching out carb heavy sides for high fiber options and healthy fats. It works well and I know that eventually it’ll be second nature to skip the pasta aisle at Publix. Even though it’s hard to resist those BOGOs.
Like most of you, Sundays always end up being my grocery shopping/prepping day. Yesterday, I ended up at my favorite produce stand and picked up local tomatoes and basil. The natural next step was to get some mozzarella because the only thing on my mind was pizza. Unfortunately pizza does not fit the lifestyle I’m going for (see above).
The next thought I had was to make a fresh mozzarella and tomato salad. But that didn’t appeal to me. Mostly, because I’m tired of eating salads. Really. It feels like all I ate last week was salad. Not that that’s a bad thing, I just really needed something warm and cheesy in my belly.
Tomato Slice Pizza Bites were exactly what I needed. I’m pretty sure they’re exactly what you need, too.
- One firm, fresh tomato
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Slice your tomato into 1/2 thick slices
- In a heavy bottom skillet, warm a drizzle of olive oil. Place your tomato slices in the skillet and sear on both sides.
- Once the tomatoes are warmed and brown, sprinkle with salt and pepper (to taste)
- Top each slice with fresh mozzarella
- Allow the mozzarella to melt, then remove from heat
- Allow the slice to cool slightly. Drizzle with balsamic and top with fresh basil
- Enjoy with a fork and knife - the tomatoes can get a bit soft with cooking.
What’s your favorite pizza topping? Are you a traditionalist or do you like to go a little crazy?