Confession: I’ve never, ever gotten a professional facial. It’s high on my list of things I’d like to experience but just haven’t yet. I hear they are amazing. My coworker gets one monthly at the gym we work out at and she loves it. She also has amazing skin, so there is probably something to it.
If you’re also in the “I’ve never gotten a facial” group then this post is for you. The purpose of a facial is open up your pores and cleanse your skin; at home herbal facial steams also do the same. Open pores mean easy removal of dirt and grime plus lots of moisture. After a steam, your skin will feel dewy and fresh. Steams are my favorite way to prep the skin for cleansing and exfoliation; they can be done on a daily or weekly basis. Herbs incorporated into the hot water add multiple benefits for various skin types and can be customized easily based your needs.
- a kettle to heat water
- a medium sized bowl, heat tolerant
- a mixture of fresh or dried herbs
- a large towel to create a tent over your head
- Bring 2-4 cups of water to boil
- Add herb mixture to pot and allow herbs to rehydrate if dried
- Cover pot and remove from heat, let stand 2 minutes
- After 2 minutes uncover and move to table, stir the herbs once or twice
- Place your face over the steaming pot and cover your head with your towel (create a tent)
- Stay under the tent as long as is comfortable