Thank you Manitoba Harvest for sending me an 8oz bag of Hemp Hearts to sample and for sponsoring this giveaway!
When Matt and I purchased The Plant Power Way one of the first things we made was Hemp Milk. It was actually pretty mind blowing to Matt that he could make milk out of seeds and water.
Eventually, hemp hearts starting going into our smoothies and then one day they ended up in the lasagna.
And it was amazing.
The best part? No body even knew that these magical plant powered seeds were in the lasagna. They kind of blend in like that.
But really, there’s nothing about this seed that is “ordinary.” I would actually say it’s an exceptional little seed with so much nutritional value that you’d be crazy not to add hemp hearts to your lasagna or your smoothies or your basil pesto.
Yes. Hemp Heart Basil Pesto is a thing in our kitchen.
Important facts about hemp:
- Hemp hearts contain 10 grams of plant-based protein and 10 grams of Omegas (both 3 and 6) per 2 tablespoons.
- They have more protein and omegas and less carbs than the same serving of chia or flax.
- No soaking required! Hemp hearts + water + blender = Hemp Milk.
- Hemp is a sustainable crop
- Hemp hearts don’t contain detectable levels of THC, which means they are safe to consume liberally.
If you’re a vegan or vegetarian and you’re not getting omega-3 EPA and DHA from fish oil, you need to make sure you’re getting enough ALA. ALA is found in plant based sources of omega-3’s like hemp hearts, chia and flax seeds. ALA is an omega-3 that can be converted to EPA and DHA. This conversion is most effective if you have healthy zinc levels – spinach, mushrooms and seaweed are all good sources!
- 2 cups loosely packed basil
- ½ cup chives
- ⅓ cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 - 2 tsp garlic (to taste)
- ½ to 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- Puree your ingredients in a food processor of blender.
- Add to cooked pasta. Add veggies, parmesan or sun dried tomatoes as desired.
Your turn: have you tried hemp hearts? Do you want to win your own bag of hemp hearts? All you need to do is leave a comment to be entered to win!
Congratulations Erin! You’re the winner!
You must be a U.S. resident and have a physical address (sorry, no P.O. boxes) to win.