When I was in Ireland, I treated myself to a seaweed body scrub at one of the bath houses I visited. It was an invigorating and inspiring treatment – I felt so good after that scrub; like my skin was glowing. I think about it often.
I’ve always used seed based facial and body scrubs, and after learning about microbeads damaging our environment, I am even more committed to using sustainable and environmentally safe beauty products.
Seaweed interacts with its environment in the ocean in a unique way, it naturally absorbs nourishment from the sea. It harbors a high concentration of minerals and vitamins, and when applied to your face as a mask or scrub, it acts like a poultice, drawing out impurities and revitalizing your skin.
DIY Seaweed Scrub:
- 1/4 ground almond meal
- 1/4 cup bentonite clay (Starwest Botanicals Bentonite Clay)
- 1/4 ground oats (Bob’s Red Mill Organic Rolled Oats)
- 1/4 ground seaweed (Starwest Botanicals Organic Kelp Powder)
- Essential Oils
Use a coffee grinder or blender to grind up your almond meal and oats. The almonds should be ground to a fine meal and the oats can be ground a consistency that is suitable for your skin needs (coarse for a good scrub, finer if you want a milder scrub or face mask).
Mix the ingredients and store them in a mason jar. At this point you can add in essential oils to improve the smell of your scrub. Seaweed smells like…the sea; if you’re not into that smell on your face, add in essential oils with skin benefits:
- Geranium Rose: Balances oil production and helps remove oil from clogged pores
- Sweet Orange: Soothing for acne prone skin and a tonic for mature skin
- Lavender: Tones and revitalizes problem skin
- Tea Tree Oil: Balances oil production and helps clear/prevent breakouts
- Lemongrass: Helps your skin glow while also detoxifying
To use, I like to mix a small amount of the powder with filtered water in a bowl to create a paste; next I apply the paste to my face prior to getting into the shower. I’ll scrub as I apply and wait to rinse until I get into the shower.
You can use this as a scrub 2-3 times a week to give your skin a deep cleanse.
If you’d like to try this without the DIY, you can purchase it in my Etsy shop: The Botanical Co.