Starbucks makes the best Peppermint Mocha coffee around, only theirs is packed with sugar. Feel festive with this healthy, nutritious version of a classic holiday favorite!
Now that we’ve made it through Thanksgiving, we’re officially in the holiday season, which means:
- *N Sync’s Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays on repeat
- Hot cocoa, all the time.
- Twinkle lights
- Perfecting the art of giving
- and, lots of festive, and occasionally sweet, holiday drinks
I try to refrain from sugary coffee beverages, and now that I’m making my own espresso beverages at home it is so much easier. Regardless of my espresso skillz, there is one holiday drink I like to have at least once during the Christmas season: a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha.
The peppermint mocha is a holiday staple. You really can’t go wrong with peppermint and chocolate (or peanut butter and chocolate or coconut and chocolate or just chocolate, really). In the spirit of giving, let me give you the facts: a 16oz peppermint mocha with soy milk without whipped cream contains 360 calories and 52 grams of sugar.
52 grams of sugar = 10+ teaspoons
And just a reminder, the American Heart Association recommends no more than 6 teaspoons daily for a woman. Rather than abstaining from this seasonal treat all together, here’s my advice: exercise moderation. Have the peppermint mocha (or pumpkin spice latte) if the craving strikes but don’t have one every single day.
And if you’re in the mood for something pepperminty and chocolatey, but with far better nutritional value, then try this Coffee Shop Peppermint Mocha Smoothie. It tastes so similar to the real thing that you might be tempted to give up the sweet stuff all together.
- 6oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 scoop chocolate plant protein (I use Orgain Chocolate Fudge)
- 2 drops food grade peppermint oil
- Combine ingredients and blend on high.
- Add ice or additional milk/water to the preferred consistency.
Your turn: what is your favorite holiday drink? Are you a peppermint mocha fan?